Obtaining a Letter of Recommendation
!!-- NOTE: Due to the sabbatical of Prof. Gee, he is unable to write any Letters of Recommendation during SS23 --!!
Conditions for Obtaining a Letter of Recommendation (or similar) from Prof. Gee
Many students need a letter of recommendation from a university advisor for various purposes such as e.g.
- application for a Master program
- application for a stipend of some kind from some institution
- membership in an institution such as Max Weber program or Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes, etc.
I am doing VERY MANY of these recommendation letters per year but now have to cut down on the number. You may obtain such a recommendation if and only if you meet the following requirements and follow the procedure given below.
- You are actively enrolled as a student at TUM
- You have worked or are currently working with my group in some sense, that is, as a Hiwi, Tutor, have done or are currently doing a research internship, Bachelor or Master thesis with my group or are in my Max Weber Mentee group. Attending or having attended any of our courses is not sufficient.
- Your current grade average from TUMonline is significantly better than average in your study program (rule of thumb: <= 2.1)
- All correspondence must come from a mytum email account. Everything else will be disregarded
- Send ONE email requesting a letter of recommendation to this address and directly include
- what the recommendation is supposed to be for
- a short CV
- a current status report from TUMonline. If you are in a Master program, also include your Bachelor certificate
- if available, a ranking from within your study program
- if applicable, the recommendation form of the institution you are applying to
- if applicable, address or email address or upload link the letter of recommendation is to be send to
- For security reasons, send pdf only.
- Acknowledge that the maximum is ONE letter of recommendation per person. I am unable to supply multiple letters for e.g. applications to various Master programs
- Acknowledge that your request still might be turned down due to reasons unrelated to your request, e.g. due to work overload
- Allow sufficient time. There is no guarantee I will be able to do a letter within a few days or one week
- Acknowledge that you will never get to see the letter (closed envelope). It will be either directly send to the institution or you will receive a closed and sealed envelope to pass on.
- You will receive a confirmation email in response to your request
- You will receive a notification email once your letter is ready either for pickup or has been sent to the institution