The modeling of many physical processes includes transport phenomena, such as mass and heat transfer. The corresponding governing equations are often either one-way coupled to a flow field via a convection term or, when the transported physical quantity also influences the flow, even two-way coupled. Our computational approaches for solving the (coupled) transport equations are based on multiscale and stabilized finite element methods.
Examples for transport phenomena are:
- general transport of any scalar physical quantity
- heat tranfer in solids and fluids
- mass transport in solids and fluids
- nano-particle transport in the human lung
- gas exchange processes in the human lung
- chemical species transport in biofilms
- multi-ion transport in electrochemical systems
- level-set equation
Transport phenomena are currently addressed in several of our applications such as:
Please find publications on this topic here.